Thursday, January 28, 2010

Total Madhouse

I have been telling myself two things over and over today:
"I like my job."

and "I'm off tomorrow."

It has been Crazy with a capital C at work all day. I arrived before noon, over an hour early and was frantically begged to clock in early. I swiped my badge and that was the last chance I had to breathe until almost 5pm when I being shooed out for my lunch break. Talk about hectic!

We ran out of everything. The first to go was of course ice melt. Shortly following that was bananas, bread, milk, ground beef, onions, chips, and the list goes on and on. We'd get the lines down and attempt to re-organize a little bit just in time to catch the next wave. When I had a minute to sneak a peek outside I was suprised to see how calm it was. It was chilly but...nice. Perhaps it was just the calm before the storm.
One thing that is nice about busy days like today: I actually spend time on a register. As a CSM (Customer service manager) I don't spend hardly any time actually working the register anymore. Today gives me the opportunity to refresh my memory on UPC codes and to protect my reputation as one of the fastest checkers.

The customers were still trickling at 10:00 pm. I was supposed to be heading home but there was work to be done. I offically clocked out just short of midnight. After spending almost 12 hours bagging groceries, apologizing for our lack of supplies, directing shopping cart traffic, and having the same weather-related conversation with almost every customer and a few other associates I am ready for a day off.

Today was one of those days where I really feel I earned my paycheck. There are days when we are able to goof around a little, days when maybe we're a little lazy, days when maybe we spend a little too much time standing around. Days like today make up for any idle time.

I do like my job...most days. But yes, I am off tomorrow.

No comments: