Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Just what the doctor ordered

I'm beginning to understand the irony of the term "patient" in regards to the medical field.After what seems like months of waiting (in reality, it was 3 weeks) I now have my surgery to remove my gallbladder scheduled.

What a relief!

I met with the surgeon this afternoon, had a semi-gross conversation on the function of a gallbladder, and was promptly scheduled for surgery this next week. Both the surgeon and his nurse were very friendly and helpful as they patiently answered all my questions (I had come prepared with a list) and reassured me that the surgery should go smoothly.

One of the nurses commented that they do so many gallbladder removals that the surgeons could probably do it in their sleep. My reply: But they don't, right?!

I received a lovely handout with some post-op procedures. My favorite paragraph by far was the one explaining that there might be "some mild changes in bowels habits" and that this can be "cumbersome and inconvenient." I guess that must be the polite way of saying "Sorry but you're going to poop your pants." Oh the joy...

No comments: