I learned recently that one of my high school teachers passed away. Mrs. Southern was by far one of my favorite teachers in high school. I had her for AP English my junior year. Besides the course work, classes were full of her sense of humor and love of teaching. I still have a "quote book" I kept during those years that has many priceless gems from her. She really was one of those teachers that really stick out post-graduation. Mrs. Southern was one of only a handful of teachers I've returned to visit in the previous years. Mrs. Southern is the kind of teacher I think any teacher hopes to be. She has touched so many people, changed lives, and made learning happen in the most unconventional but effective ways. She used to say heaven won’t know what to do with her and hell is afraid she’ll take over.
Holly Leanne Southern, 49, of Rogers, Ark., died Saturday, March 28, 2009, at her home. She was born Nov. 19, 1959, in Norwalk, Calif., to William D. Fountain and Mary Belisle Fountain.
She graduated with high honors and received a Bachelor of Science degree in education from the University of Arkansas in 1990. She began teaching at Bentonville (Ark.) High School in 1991. She won a variety of teaching awards. She was an avid reader and was known for her sense of humor. She enjoyed golfing, gardening and caring for her pets.
Survivors include her husband of 14 years, Gary Southern; a daughter and son-inlaw, Jerron Baker and William Baker of Oklahoma City, Okla.; a brother, Brad Beck of Neosho, Mo.; four sisters and a brother-in-law, Julie Fountain of Santa Cruz, Calif., Mary Beth Delgado and Steve Delgado of Oceana, Calif., Katie Sutherland of Cassville, Mo., and Coleen Tarpy of Neosho; a granddaughter, Brooklyn Baker; and her friend, Cindy Bray.
A memorial service will be held at 11 am. Saturday, April 4, at the Stockdale Funeral Chapel in Rogers with William Merkling.
Memorials may be made to the Rogers Humane Society, 407 E. Nursery Road, Rogers, AR 72756.
Online condolences may be made at stockdalefuneral. com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment